Berlin Historical Society

The Berlin Historical Society Museum is located in one of Berlin's historic buildings. Built in 1901, the Peck Building was designed to be a library and was used as one until the late 1980s, when Berlin's new municipal library was built.


The museum has been modernized by the Historical Society to provide display space and handicapped access while retaining many of the original features of the building including the main room with its original fireplace and turn-of-the-century oak paneling.

Museum

The Museum, located at 305 Main Street (corner of Peck and Main) in Kensington, houses the Berlin Historical Society's collection of early tin, brick and Berlin related artifacts. Among the permanent exhibits are:

A brick display with bricks, brick molds, signs and terra cotta pieces from Berlin's many brick manufacturers. Berlin was prominent in the brick market even as late as 1958.

A tin maker's corner made up of a reproduction tin maker's bench with an assortment of original tin maker tools.

A room devoted almost entirely to tin items, which show the diversity of the tin-manufacturing medium. Berlin's history is intertwined with tin, and as early as the 1700s, Berlin was home to the original Yankee Peddlers, the Pattison brothers.

New displays include information on the Civil War, display and information on the first Civil War Monument, the Leatherman and his association with Berlin as well as a televised DVD presentation of old sites and photos of Berlin.

Interested in scheduling a group tour of the museum? We welcome school groups, youth organizations, social clubs and history buffs to schedule personalized group tours, April-December. Please contact us to make arrangements.